8 Facts About How Americans Get To Work
1. The vast majority of people still drive to work.
2. The number of people who walk to work has fallen over the last 30 years, but bicycle commuting is getting more popular.
About 786,000 people biked to work between 2008 and 2012. That's a tiny slice of the total workforce — only 0.6 percent — but it's a big jump from 2000, when only 488,000 people biked to work.
3. Younger workers walk and bike to work more than older workers.
Active commuting is much more common among workers ages 16-24, with 6.8 percent walking and 1 percent cycling. The numbers go down in other age groups, the report explains, which may happen because older workers tend to live in different places, have higher incomes, and experience changing physical abilities.
4. People making the least money bike and walk the most.
Workers making less than $10,000 walk and bike to work more than anyone else. Walking and biking also increases slightly at the top end of the income spectrum.
5. More men ride bikes to work than women.
The report states that 0.8 percent of men bike to work, while only 0.3 percent of women ride. A separate study shows an even more extreme gender divide: in New York City, 76.3 percent of all Citi Bike trips are taken by men.
6. Walking to work is popular in northeastern cities.
7. But biking is most popular in western cities.
Medium-sized cities with strong bike cultures — Davis, Calif., Boulder, Colo., Eugene, Ore., — give the west higher percentages of bicycle commuters. These cities have invested heavily in bike infrastructure, but may also excel because smaller cities are less stressful to ride in.
8. People who walk and bike to work have the shortest commutes.
The average commute time for people who walk is 11.5 minutes. For cyclists, it's 19.3 minutes. For everyone else, commuting times average 25.9 minutes.
Jim Dalrymple is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Jim Dalrymple II at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.
- Previous The Sun May Have Stopped Showing Topless Models On Page 3 And People Have A Lot To Say
- Next E se seu seriado preferido fosse uma diva pop?